Sunday, May 6, 2007

Growing Up


Well as of April 27th, I am another year older. My birthday was really special thanks to my dear friends. One of my classes made me 365 tiny paper stars to wish me 365 days of happiness. Cole and Hugh B. took me to lunch and got me a nice Chinese cake. The Yichang 6 made a Mexican feast for dinner. Best tortillas ever! Amy's made the classic cake shown here. (Less than 70 days now! Strong.) Late night festivities included a ghetto dance party. Brad, Dawson and Amy created one of my favorite places in Nashville on the porch for me which I will NEVER forget. Good birthday...
It was kind of hard being away from family, but I am learning that is just part of growing up and not just because I am in China. This whole growing up thing can be really hard sometimes. This week has been "Spring Break" for us so I took a little time to get away and be alone. I spent a few days in Wuhan just gathering my thoughts and trying to refocus. Journaled, walked, went to the zoo, went swimming... had peace and quiet. I came to the realization that I might never feel truly grown up because there is always so much to learn. Is there an age or time when you actually feel grown up?
While in Wuhan, I was walking down the road when I felt someone push me. Instinctively I grabbed my purse and sure enough everything was gone. (I had been careful. My purse was strapped over my whole body and the flap was facing my leg... they are just THAT good.) I was walking by some construction and so I turned and saw two girls running on the other side of the barricade. I took off running and yelling too. Two men joined in the chase with me. One of the girls came over the barricade and started walking like nothing had happened. I went to grab her arm and she turned around right at that moment. She jumped forward and I lunged, tackling her to the ground. I yelled for her to give me my things and she just looked so puzzled. For a slight moment I thought I had gotten the wrong girl. Tears sprung up, but thankfully she gave me back my wallet. She also gave me my phone which I did not know she had taken. I was lucky. I learned some lessons too. In my wallet I had been carrying all my money and bank card. I do not have any phone numbers memorized because they are all in my phone. If that girl had escaped, I would have been up a creek! I guess I would have had to email my friends here and just pray that someone would show up in the next few days. I will have to be smarter... That too is a part of growing up.
Growing up is fun sometimes too. Brad spoke tonight at Family time. He talked about witnessing and I was reminded of the awesome responsibility we have here. Things here are urgent too. I am studying more than I have and really looking at some tough questions that I have been asked as of late. I guess I have taken so much of my spiritual life for granted especially when I see my friends and seekers here. I am enjoying this part of growing up even though it is challenging.
Sometimes it is nice being a "kid." Tonight we took a walk and then five of us linked together walked home and went to the store. People thought we were crazy, but we just had a good time laughing. We drew pen tattoos. I am now a member of the "Mosquito Mafia" because of the bites I have everywhere. (I have to spray myself with Off before I go to sleep at night.) Life is just too fun sometimes...
Here's to growing up...

1 comment: