Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Beth, the Swim Teacher

A group of American tourists passed through campus today. My 3+2 students were picked to show them around campus. After taking them to this incredible exhibition hall in the library (which I never knew we had) the tourists were fed up. There was no AC (welcome to our lives!) and my students were "not good enough." Many of the Americans came to talk to me about my experience and said they admired the fact that I was willing to come. Then they proceeded to tell me how horrible the students' English was. This really upset me in a lot of ways! (1) I am their teacher... guess I suck (2) The students really tried and were so excited about this opportunity (3) English is after all their second language (4) You are in China... get over it! I had all kind of protective feelings rising inside. I will be the first to admit most of these kids are not going to pass their exams to go overseas, but why should a stranger complain about it!??! Agh!
So after this not fun experience my students invited me to go swimming with them at the school's brand new pool. It just opened on Friday and everyone is so excited. I had decided that I probably would not swim there because I thought it would be awkward and such. However, after the afternoon I thought it would be a fun way to cool off and spend some time with them. I sucked it up and got in my swimsuit.
When we got to the pool I was informed I would have to buy a swim cap. Oh joy! What a fabulous look. The girls headed into the locker room where they had no qualms changing in front of their teacher. When we finally made it to the pool most of them admitted they did not know how to swim and some had never gotten into water. Our little outing quickly turned into a swim lesson. It was quite fun! My fears of being stared at faded and I gained respect from many who joined in our lesson.
I guess if I stink at teaching English I could always be a swim teacher...

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is "wow" you look absolutely stunning in your bathing cap!!! *wolf whistle*
    So I just caught up on your last few blogs, I always enjoy reading them, they make me feel like you are not so far after all, because I know what is going on in your life.
    You are always in my thoughts!

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete