Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Club and American Tiramisu

On Friday night, it was my turn to host our book club meeting. Normally, we eat dinner, talk about the book, and the play Nertz. This night was no exception. We are currently reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover which is one of my favorites. The girls brought salad, bread, and wine (Blackberry Merlot...delish!). I fixed lasagna and American Tiramisu.

This is the second time I have made American Tiramisu and I love it. Quick dessert that looks like it took some time. It also can be made the night before saving you time to frantically clean your house before guests come. Why American? Because there is no cinnamon or ladyfingers involved.

American Tiramisu
1 thawed pound cake (I use Sara Lee.)
2/3 cup of brewed coffee (Save a little from what you make in the morning.)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup chocolate syrup (I use a little more for the drizzle on top.)
1 package of cream cheese
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 of a hazelnut chocolate bar (I use Ritter's.)

Slice pound cake and place in the bottom of a 9x13 dish. (You could also use a trifle bowl.) Pour coffee over cake. In a mixing bowl, beat sugar, chocolate syrup, and cream cheese until smooth. Add whipping cream. Beat until fluffy. Spread the mixture over the cake. Drizzle chocolate over the top. Chop up chocolate bar and scatter on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

The evening was a success if I do say so myself. I guess that had something to do with me winning Nertz for the first time ever. (Honestly, it was the first time I even had a score that wasn't in the negative!)

Looking forward to April's book club already.

I linked up at

1 comment:

  1. That tiramisu looks fantastic. I bet it was sooo good. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until Monday night and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your tiramisu up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-7.html

    ReplyDelete