Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Asheville Goodness #1

Spring Break flew by! Our trip to Asheville was fabulous, but for now just a preview of one of the delightful things about the trip.

On Friday, J and I found ourselves heading into Biltmore Village for lunch. I had a place picked out, but after reviewing the menu we opted for Gianni Panini which we had walked by earlier. It was a good decision.

I ordered the Greek Chicken panini and when paired with a Peach Izze made my mouth happy. However, that did not compare to the potato salad. The potato salad I had was literally the best I have ever put in my mouth. I savored each bite which is something I rarely do. Secret ingredient? Feta Cheese. (Of course there might be more, but that is the one the server told me about.) Why I have never thought of that before?

When I got home I looked for a recipe that would be close to the yumminess I had on the trip. I plan on making this real soon!

Feta Potato Salad
(Recipe adapted from Southern Living)

Ingredients:
3 pounds small new potatoes, diced
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
Whisk together oil and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over potatoes and add green onions, parsley and feta. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill.

Yield: 8-10 side dish servings

No comments:

Post a Comment