Friday, September 17, 2010

Loans for Supplies?!?!

Today while flipping through a teaching magazine, I stumbled across a full page ad for a credit union. The ad was pleasing to the eye and simple. After reading though, I found it to be a little sad. To entice teachers to get a loan, they used "Low rate loans for supplies, certifications and continuing education."

When I was teaching I had to dig into my pocketbook many times to get what I needed for lessons. We only get $200 for supplies a year. Think about getting something for a class of 28 on $200. It is hard to do. While I don't think anybody goes into teaching for the money, I don't think many people realize just how much of their own money they can spend on supplies for the classroom. Now it is attractive to get a loan to cover those costs... Sad day, my friends.

I did love this little quote I found this morning...

“Nothing you do for children is ever wasted. They seem not to notice us, hovering, averting our eyes, and they seldom offer thanks, but what we do for them is never wasted.” –Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment