Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dayenu

Brad, the master guitarist, learned to play Ben Kweller's song Lizzie. He wanted to learn the lyrics (so Amy, master singer, could sing). After listening to the song, tons of times a couple of weeks ago I still could not figure out a repetitive line. What's a girl to do? Google it.

The line turned out to be a word. Dayenu. What does that mean? I didn't know... Google it.

Dayenu is a Hebrew word that means "it would have been enough" or "it is sufficient." There is a Jewish song that goes through all of the blessing the Israelites had in the desert, exodus, etc. After each blessing, it repeats this word, dayenu.

When I first looked it up, I thought it was interesting. However, today in my quiet time I was thinking just how much I am like the Israelites. I go through those up and down phases of faith. I don't always put my trust in the Father. Currently, as I am thinking about my future I have not put trust in Him. Why not??!?! I have seen over and over how He protects, loves and leads to me to good things. He does something great and not five seconds later, I have forgotten and wonder why he has left me. I wrote out my own little version of the Dayenu (Jewish) song with the many ways Father has blessed me just this year. Hopefully, the next time I get to feeling sorry for myself, I will remember dayenu.

No comments:

Post a Comment