Saturday, February 23, 2008

Violin

It is funny how there are some things that cross all boundaries of culture, geography, age, sex, etc. Love, food, religion jump out right away. Music though is one of those things too. Now I am not saying I enjoy music in China. Lord knows, I could go my whole life without ever hearing Celine Dion's Titanic song again. But music is something that plays an important part of our lives.

When I was in middle school, we were forced to choose band, strings or chorus. Those of you who know me know I cannot carry a tune or read music. However, I was in strings for 3 years. I played violin. I use the term "play" very loosely. Most of the time I would just air play, making sure my bow was in the same position as everybody else. Every now and then I would learn to play something. I never learned to read music. I just learned to listen to the sound and memorize where my fingers were supposed to go next. It is embarrassing for me to say that, but the truth. My favorite song that I could actually play was "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee". I loved it because playing myself it did not sound amazing, but when sitting in the orchestra it was something beautiful. I would play my little heart out knowing that it was the first time even God did not cringe at my playing.

I am not a musical person as compared to all of my teammates here, who all appear on some kind of CD, but I do appreciate good music. Every now and then I do have the urge to learn to play drums... another dream for another time.

(Topic from 100 Things Jar)

No comments:

Post a Comment