Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Little Harder Than I Thought

Well after 49 hours of traveling I have arrived back in Yichang. I wish I could say that I was excited, but I am not.

While I was home this summer I was anxious about getting back. The first two weeks were pretty much miserable. No real reason. However, I got used to being back. I had some great trips and got to see a lot of people. By the end of the summer I was finally starting to feel at home again.

Our journey back included some delays, rushes through airport, no food, toting over 500 pounds of luggage from one bus station to another, my feet the size of Texas and a squatty potty from Hades! We got back to hear that we were getting to move apartments that night. No rest for the weary... Then I realized no air conditioning in my apartment so I ended up crashing on the boys couch for the night.

I have this nice huge apartment but for the time being I can't seem to enjoy it. Everything seems overwhelming! Yesterday I did almost nothing because I was zapped and so homesick. This morning I woke about 4am (still on American time) and have accomplished a little bit. My bed is finally put together and clothes put away. I am supposed to meet some of my students for lunch and then I am planning on fixing dinner for the others. Maybe that will help pull me out of this little funk.

Combination of jet lag, homesickness, pms, overwhelmed, and maybe even a little culture shock is just not good... I think there are a few of us here facing the same problem so just keep us in your Thoughts.

Re-entry to the Middle Kingdom a little harder than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment