Monday, September 10, 2007

Happy Teachers Day!

September 10th is known as Teachers Day in China. On Teachers Day you get tons of text messages from numbers you don't know wishing you "good luck", shouts from students as you walk by, flowers and the occasional celebratory dinner.
Cole called me a couple of days ago to see if the boys (Monday night class I has a year ago) could take me out for dinner on Teachers Day. I agreed because I love their company. Normally though when we eat together is when I experience major differences in Eastern/Western cooking. (Last time we had a couple of different kinds of blood...)
Cole picked me up in a taxi and we headed straight for the hot pot restaurant. When I got out of the taxi my boys came running up, yelling "Happy Teachers Day!" and presented me with a bunch of fuchsia carnations. It was great to see all of them (plus girlfriends they had acquired over summer.) Only Cole, Hugh B and Julie stayed for dinner because the rest were having dinner with a Chinese professor. Thankfully there was no blood this time. The only odd food I "enjoyed" was seaweed and some kind of bean curd. (Bean curd... who came up with this name?!!? Even the name makes me sick...) It was a nice dinner. A nice night. A nice memory.
Happy Teachers Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment