Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Making of a Mermaid

The choosing of a Halloween costume is never easy. This year I even looked in America for a costume while I was home. I came very close to being Wilma Flintstone and then an angel. However, it was in the shower one morning I decided to be a mermaid. (Could have been brought on by the many trips to Starbucks in Xian. Did you know a mermaid is the logo for Starbucks? I always thought it was a goddess.)

So how does one become a mermaid? Well, it all started with a sketch. I took my sketches, my sweet friend Chen Tao and headed to a tailor. I found a green fabric which looked like shiny scales, picked some green netting and choose purple cloth for my starfish. After much debating with the tailor about how best to make a mermaid, we decided he would measure, I would piece together, he would sew and I would finish by sewing on the star. Cost 35 kuai. Finished within a week. Strong.

Next, I took a mosquito net my mom had sent me last year to make a shaw. I cut it to pieces (sorry Mom, but it turned out great!!!) I painted some shells and crabs and hot glued them to the netting. Then I took ribbon (also from the net) and glued it to both ends so the netting would not tear. I thought it was pretty fab, except that when actually wearing the black outlines rubbed off onto my skin. Opps!

Now this was not a scandalous party and me being the sweet girl I am ;) I wore a white t-shirt and used a pink scarf as the top. I used a ponytail holder in the middle of the scarf to give that "fitted" look. The scarf did fall down a lot so I ended up having to use safety pins midway through the party.
What is a mermaid without curly hair? Kim and I paid a visit to the hairdressers next to our favorite restaurant. Almost 2.5 hours later, we emerged with super curly hair. I put starfish pins in my hair which I made from the same fabric as the star on my waist. The outfit was complete with my trusty pearl earrings and necklace.
And that my friends is how you make a mermaid...

2 comments:

  1. You won't believe it, Beth, but Rachel & Rosebug are going to be Mermaids, too. I must say, your costume is MUCH more authentic! LOL Glad you're getting some fun use out of the netting! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete