Friday, June 22, 2007

Emmie


This week we lost a dear friend and family member, Emma Ruth Fox. We affectionately called her "Emmie." In the last few months Emmie suffered a lot from memory loss and cancer. I was told she did die peacefully though.
Being away from home the past few days has not been very easy. This is the first time I have lost someone that I consider to be close to. (Too young to really remember GG's funeral and death.) I would like to think that I am a strong person, but I don't remember feeling like this ever. I am blessed to have good friends here in Yichang who really have reached out. Peach stayed was here when I found out and did not leave my side the first day. Amy came over in between classes to sit with me. Seheno and Katie came up with ideas of how to grieve. Dawson brought flowers. Kim left sweet notes. Brad spent a lot of time with me and literally offered his shoulder. I feel kind of silly and needy, but I am so grateful too. Grieving is something I don't think I am good at. I like to be strong and right now this is something I am not.
I wish all of you could know Emmie. She had a love for traveling, cooking and reading. She especially loved western books by Louis L'Amour. I remember receiving wonderful postcards from her travels and I loved sending them to her because she would have a nice appreciation of them. Her kitchen always smelled so good! But out of all the things I will remember Emmie for it will be her servant heart.
My mom was given her first copy of The Giving Tree by Emmie. I cannot help but think how appropriate. Emmie was always the first to step up and give anything and everything she could. She ALWAYS put others first and never gave it a second thought. She offered me a place to stay for awhile when times were not so good. She sent money for mission trips, baked a meal for those experiencing hard times, offered great advice (to whoever who would listen... especially to customers at the art shop!) and gave wonderful hugs. Emmie knew how to live a good life... putting the Father first and being a servant. She is an example of how we should strive to live.
We lost a dear, dear woman this week, but Heaven gained another saint.
Love you Emmie.

1 comment:

  1. We missed you this past week, Beth. During the funeral service I thought of the book, The Giving Tree, and wished that someone had read it - although it would've been hard finding someone to read it that would be able to do so without stopping and crying. Wish you could have been there.

    Love you,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete