Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Cake

I recently stumbled across a beautiful summer cake over at Hogwash. Having never been one to make such an elegant cake, I thought it would be time consuming and hard. Boy, was I wrong! This was easier than the normal Betty Crocker mix cake!

Summer Cake
Angel food cake
Frozen yogurt (I used Kroger vanilla)
Cool Whip
Fruit topping (optional; I used strawberries)

Cut the angel food cake into the layers. Spread frozen yogurt between each layer. Put in freezer for a few hours to firm. Next, ruffle ice the cake using Cool Whip. (Here is what looks tricky, but just watch this tutorial from My Sweet and Saucy and you will look like a Wilton expert!) Place frosted cake in covered container and freeze for at least 5 hours. Cut strawberries in half and add to cake right before serving.

For the banner, I used two chopsticks, yarn, tape, and scrapbook paper. Just cut out triangles from paper. Tape to yarn. Tie banner to chopsticks. Done.

If you are like me and do not have icing supplies at home, I used a 40% coupon from Jo-Ann's to score a petal tip and decorating bags for a combined total of $2.84. Score.

If only all things in life came out this well... ;)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having a busy, but fun summer. Soak it up! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. I hear you have been a big help with Caitlin's wedding plans, etc. Love you! Cake looks yummy & love the chopsticks/string/flag decoration!

    ReplyDelete