Monday, July 2, 2007

A Good Old American Tradition

What do you get when you take about 40 students, 7 foreign teachers, eggs, sacks, water balloons and a limbo stick and then put them in about 90 degree weather? Three Gorges First Annual Field Day!That's right ladies and gentlemen, our students have now been introduced to the great American field day and they will never be the same.

We began our morning partly sad because our apartments did not have water. Water balloons without water... :( We did find a place to fill up the balloons... where else but the flood disaster research center on campus. (Who knew we even had that??? ) The water balloon fight was a great way to end the big event.

Other games we played included "steal the bacon" or in this case frozen 7up container filled with ice, "sack race", "wheelbarrow race" and "limbo". The students were almost freakishly flexible! We had an egg toss but the eggs were tough to break. Lucky for some people I guess. And of course what is a field day without the good old "dizzy bat" race? Brad and I were trying to show the kids how it was done. Sadly I guess with aging I am not as coordinated as I once was. I went crashing sideways in the ground. I do mean crashing. The bruises are wonderful shades of black, blue and green. I might even have them when I arrive back in the States. ;)

Bruises and all it was a perfectly grand Saturday morning. I think the students really enjoyed themselves and I know I did.

(Brad's postgrad student catches an egg with her legs!)

(Katie is geared up for sack race!)

(Puma "Abs" shows how the students relied on their stomach muscles to play Limbo)

No comments:

Post a Comment