Sunday, July 1, 2007

Experiencing A Little Love With Frogs

On Saturday morning Katie and I started our day by going to the deaf/blind middle school we learned about over Spring Festival. We went with the intention of delivering a small amount of art supplies for the children to use. Our visit grew into a mini art lesson. The sweet headmaster asked us to teach the students to make something. With it being last minute we agreed upon paper frogs. Neither one of us remembered exactly how to make it, so I came up with an impromptu explanation. The frogs turned out cute even though they did not jump as well as I remember. At the end of our "lesson" we had a little race with the creations. The students then shamed our frogs by making some of the most creative origami works. We had a good time though.


One of the coolest things to watch was how the students interact with each other. There was one little boy who really seemed to take a leadership role. He is deaf but was so sweet to write out a conversation with us on the chalkboard. He also helped some of the blind girls how to make frogs by guiding their hands. He did not make it for them, but rather just held the outside of theirs so they could feel how to make them. All of the students were kind to each other and kind to us. I guess they have their own little family.

I feel really blessed by finding this way to be involved in the community here. My Chinese is quite lacking compared to the others, but I feel as though I can be useful to others because I can come up with ideas. I really admire the way Katie and Kim have learned and used Chinese for kingdom work and I hope that one day I will be able to . Until then I can be showing love with frogs. ;)

Monday is the last day of school for these students until next term. Katie and I hope to continue doing some things at the school. This summer we will be trying to gathering some art supplies for the class so for those of you who would like to help we would love anything you could give.

No comments:

Post a Comment