Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Belt* Belts It Out...

For those of you who don't know, pastimes in China are quite different from America. That is especially true in the university setting. While I was in college I spent a fair amount of time at working part time jobs, going on road trips, playing board games with friends, trying new restaurants, going to see movies and the every now and then running at Radnor Lake or dancing in Centennial Park. My students don't work, spend 24/7 in the library, play WOW (or some computer game) and for a really good time they go to KTV.

I shudder even thinking about going to KTV (Karaoke for those Stateside). I was not blessed with musical genes. I don't like the sound of my own voice. I can think of a million other fun things to do besides KTV. My students have been dying for me to go with them so a couple of weeks ago I folded. Because taxis are so crazy here I thought there was still a good possibility I could die on the way thus solving the whole singing problem. Nope.

While cramming into a little room with TV and huge karaoke machine, I began to realize just how much my students love singing. I was excited... maybe I could get out of it because they liked the spotlight so much. Nope. To add to my despair they turned on Britney Spears' "Baby, Baby" or whatever that song is called. I got to fumble though the song. They clapped and wanted another one. Shoot me now.

After looking through their English song choices, I made my selection. I found the perfect KTV song. One I will use forever from here on out. Avril's "Boyfriend". It is super fast, more chanting than singing and the Chinese love it! (Note: make sure to bleep or cough in those not so nice word choices) You will go home singing it too.

After 2 hours of singing, explaining "My Humps" probably is not that great of a song and being ogled at by the hundreds of other KTV patrons, I got to come home and crawl into my bed. KTV for 2007 check.

Mark belts out "God Is A Girl"

Kitty sings ballad to her boyfriend

Amanda acting all camera shy...

Spending time with my students makes it all worthwhile!

*Belt is one of my many nicknames that for some reason has stuck

No comments:

Post a Comment