Thursday, July 12, 2007

Jim

In less than 5 hours I get into a car to start the super long journey to the land of milk!

Tonight I got a phone call from Jim.

Jim is in the 3+1 "nightmare" program. ( I call it this with great love!) He might be one of the worst students I have ever had in terms of knowledge. He would be the one though that I just adore. He is so funny and easy to joke around with. He has made a little effort to learn English, but for some reason has really captured a big piece of my heart.

Jim calling me was huge. I cannot tell you how excited I was. He called to wish me luck on the journey home and to thank me for being a good teacher. (I could hear people helping him translate in the back.) Then he told me he will not be returning next year because of his grades. He was not upset, but just wanted to wish me goodbye. Then he said in broken English that he wanted to make the phone call and nobody needed to translate how much he was going to miss me. He said he would write often. While that may not happen, I was touched.

Jim is one of those unforgettable students...

I am soooo thankful I am not saying goodbye to China this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment